Sunday, May 3, 2015

Article 13 - Mona of 21st Century


Is this a modern art version of Mona Lisa digitized by a modern Leonardo da Vinci? Then I would call the woman in the painting as Mona and the artist as Leo. What  a change over from Mona Lisa of 16th century to Mona of 21st century. Hats off to Leo. I would guess the title of art as DIGITAL MONA or MONA OF 21st CENTURY or may be MONA LEO !

When I looked at this remix funny painting first, I had to laugh out loud. No offense to the artist Leo. Let me share my thoughts and views on what Leo had tried to portray Mona of 21st century. 

First of all, look at the smile of Mona. I sense a definite improvement over centuries. Then look at that face shining like a Gigawatts LED bulb. I had anticipated to see those magnet eyes hidden behind the sunglasses. Those eyes would stare at you even if you look at it from all 360 degree angles. Seems like she understood the dramatic change of weather, global warming and adverse climatic conditions when she travelled into the current century.

Let me put together the details of painting with a couple of questions to ask artist Leo. Is she taking a selfie with a modern digital camera or asking you to shoot different versions of her? Is that an artificial butterfly sitting on top of her head? Why you have not changed her hair style? Did you not think of a modern dress for Mona - why you left her with the same outfit of old century? What about the background scenery? Why does her left hand look more yellowish than the right one?

I can assume the answers from Leo, if I read his mind correctly. Leo wanted Mona to be more alive and entertaining now with a digital camera in one hand and showing a symbol of victory in the other hand. May be Leo’s caption for this painting would say - Don’t worry, Be happy. Enjoy your freedom. Victory is yours. The camera in her left hand shouts her inner thoughts - Can somebody take my photo? I need to share it soon through social media network like Twitter and Facebook. If no one is willing, I know how to take selfies. I don't want future generations to think that this lady has only one version of painting. The different colors of Mona depicts Unity in Diversity.

Leo may be still working on the hair style and background scenery to fit the current century. May be he is yet to learn and update himself with software tools like Photoshop, Picasa, online image editors etc. Hope he uses the Sfumato touch here too to maintain the realistic painting of Mona. If I can visit Leo in person, I would ask him to try a better Mona of 21st century like a 3D or 4D Mona who pops out of the 77 cm × 53 cm painting and shakes hands with you.

--Siva

No comments:

Post a Comment